|First-year competitive entrance examination - L1
registration are closed since 17 February 2013
wednesday 9 january > sunday 17 february 2013 include
until friday 22 february 2013
submission of the portfolio (the postmark shall serve as proof of postage)
friday 15 march 2013
list of short-listed candidates will be available on the ESBANM website
tuesday 9 ou wednesday 10 april 2013
selection interview (depends on notification)
The competitive entrance examination for the Nantes Metropole ESBANM School of Fine Arts (École Supérieure des Beaux-Arts de Nantes Métropole) comprises two stages: an in-depth examination of artistic portfolios and an interview of candidates with teaching artists and theoreticians.
> stage 1: preliminary selection based on your artistic portfolio so that each of you can prepare ahead of time the various pieces and work that you feel is important and emblematic of your artistic research.
> stage 2: final selection based on an interview during which artistic, historic and theoretical issues of general culture will be discussed in order to give candidates an opportunity to talk about their pursuits, centres of interest and motivations for wanting to attend our art school.
The competitive admission examination is open to all French or foreign candidates holding a baccalauréat or equivalent secondary-school diploma.
On an exceptional basis, a special dispensation may be granted for candidates who have not passed the baccalauréat. Foreign candidates are asked to provide a French translation of their diploma (secondary school diploma or equivalent). A good knowledge of the French language is required.
Minimum age (as of 1 January of the year of the entrance examination): 16
Maximum age (as of 1 January of the year of the entrance examination): 30
Sequence of examination process:
Online registration from 9 January to 17 February 2013.
The registration request must be filled in exclusively online at the ESBANM website (a valid e-mail address is necessary to receive an acknowledgement of receipt).
Deadline for submission of the portfolio is 22 February 2013 (the postmark shall serve as proof of postage) including the following items written in French :
- a letter describing your motivations and background
- an artistic portfolio comprising 10 paper documents – originals or high-quality reproductions in A4 format (or A3 maximum) and a memorandum of intent concerning your plastic arts work
- a cheque in the amount of €38 made out to the order of "Recette des finances de Nantes municipale" to cover the application fee (foreign cheques are not accepted). Please note: there will be no refunds
- a stamped, self addressed envelope (with sufficient postage to cover the weight of your artistic portfolio) for the return of your portfolio. The portfolios of short-listed candidates will be kept at ESBANM until the day of the interview, at which time they will be returned to the candidates
- for foreign candidates, a certificate stating that you have taken the TCF (French Competency Test) level B1
Candidates short-listed on the basis of their portfolio will be notified on March 2013:
The list of short-listed candidates will be available on the ESBANM website on March 2013 with the topic of the plastic arts exam to be prepared for the interview with the jury.
Short-listed candidates will be notified of the interview by email.
Selection interview (30 min.) 9 or 10 April 2013 (depends on notification):
- Assessment of general culture based on an analysis of works and an ability to express sensitivity and a manner of seeing (10 min.)
- Assessment of plastic arts potential based on an oral presentation of the artistic topic prepared in advance (10 min.)
- Commentary on the candidate’s personal artistic portfolio (10 min.)
The jury will include a general culture teacher and two teaching artists.
Written language examination (30 min.): a series of questions in a language of the candidate’s choice (English, Italian, German or Spanish).
The results will be available on the ESBANM website at the beginning of May 2013.
Registration expenses for the year 2012/2013 (for informational purposes only):
- Social security: €207
- Registration fees and badge: €333
- Mandatory medical examination: €26
The application package should be sent to:
école supérieure des beaux-arts de Nantes Métropole
place Dulcie September
BP 20 119_
44001 Nantes cedex1
t. +33 2 40 35 90 37
f. +33 2 40 35 90 69
m. : nathalie.fraval[at]esba-nantes.fr
Student status :
Students enrolled in post-secondary studies at ESBANM have student status.
As such, they are eligible for:
• Student social security (affiliation required for non-employed students between the ages of 18 and 28)
• Mutual health insurance scheme for students: SMEBA or the Mutuelle des Etudiants
• Study grants awarded by the CROUS and, for studies abroad, grants from the City of Nantes, the Loire Valley Region, the Franco-German Youth Office and the European Union
• CROUS student benefits (accommodation in university halls of residence, university restaurants, university health and social services, and athletic facilities).